Ubuntu Powered Security

Monday, September 04, 2006


Hello all,

Here is a screenshot of the Kubuntu desktop. Yes, that is purple you all see. Looks appealing for the most part, although I am partial to blue. I hope the Ubuntu team heard that, haha.

I hope everyone had a great holiday weeekend. I am getting more and more comfortable with Ubuntu and getting to know my way around much better. Even though I still have a computer running windows xp here at home, which my family usually uses, while I use the computer with Ubuntu running on it exclusively. And as a regular user it is functional for 100% of the activities that I normally would do on an XP system.

This past week they announced the "Knot 2" release of "Edgy Eft". Note this is only for developers and those of you who are a little more adventurous. Edgy is at this point still beta testing in order to get the operating system ready for its final release date of October 2006.

Lastly, another billboard? Yes, this one spotted in the Silicon Valley on highway 101. Here is the link.

This episode I talked about common sense security. Here is a synopsis of the podcast:

1. Password protection for system administration tasks (root user vs. regular user)
2. Installing software packages from known and approved repositories.
3. Making sure that updates are current to plug up invulnerabilities.
4. Limiting who has access to your computer.

All this is fully explained in the podcast.

Posted by harlem at 5:13 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment